Friday, June 24, 2011

The Once Was Poem

Every night I dream
that I have lost something.




In every case
it is the same;
I dream
I am losing you.




Something I have left unfinished
Something that never could be finished
Something you never fully achieve



 
In my dream that undone something haunts;
A nagging tiresome:
You should be practicing.  You should be practicing.  You should
be practicing...

I have left
For something else.



 
How many times when I once was that someone
Did I push myself
with the same thought? --the constant
Urging
Be!



 
It is not so much now
As I think on what once was
That I have such a high opinion of myself
As to mourn its loss--





It is just
A nebulous feeling



 
that I will be called on again...
And will not be ready.




It is just
this deadweight feeling



 
I may have disappointed them all;

 


This other-natural nagging sense
that Once




Was such

 


a long time
Ago...


(c) Kathryn W. Ritter
June 24, 2011 5:00AM

No comments:

Post a Comment